Stress test is also known as Exercise test or treadmill test. Many times heart patients have normal ECG. This is because the ECGs are taken at rest when the heart is beating at its lowest rate. Many people feel pain in the chest only during some activities such as walking, running and climbing. When person perform any activity, the rate of heart beats increases. Hence the exercise stress test (TMT) is more suitable than normal ECG test to detect the exact heart problems.
Stress test is used to measure the ability of heart to work under the pressure. In stress test, doctor asks the patient to walk on the treadmill. The Electrocardiogram (ECG) machine is attached to the patient. When patient starts an exercise such as walking or running on treadmill, doctor continuously monitors the heart rate and ECG.
Importance of Stress test:
- The stress test (TMT) is very helpful to the Cardiologist to detect exact problem of heart. This test gives important information about amount of blood flow and oxygen supply to the heart.
- To diagnose coronary artery diseases.
- To determine a safe level of exercise.
- To predict risk of dangerous heart-related conditions such as a heart attack.
- To detect a possible heart-related symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath or lightheadedness.
Exercise stress test preparedness:
- Before the stress test, doctor performs physical examination and checks complete medical history. The patient should also discuss about medical history in detail with the cardiologist.
- The exercise affects the blood sugar level and blood pressure.
- On the stress test day, the patient should wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
- For males , the chest should be properly shaved.
The stress test is generally safe. It is done in a controlled environment under the supervision of a trained medical professional.
After the evaluation and analysis of test reports, doctor decides the treatment options. If report detects coronary artery disease or any other serious heart issue, then cardiologist can suggest one more test such as angiography.